Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cachí...a town on the mountainside

I am currently in a little tiny town of Cachí living with another family for a little over 3 weeks.  While here, I am helping out at the elementary school in town.  It´s referred to as an internship.

My family: 
Alixa=mom
Oscar Andres=17 year old brother who studies at school
Ivan=16 year old brother who is a mechanic
Naidelyn=7 year old sister who obviously is at the school I help at

My mom´s three sisters (all the siblings) live right next-door to their Mom.  So I have TONS of family here!  Lots of cousins and aunts and uncles and grandma.  Everyone walks through everyones house to get somewhere.
I´m at my aunt, Ligia´s house right now using her internet...super nice.

At school: 
Observe some classes
Cataloged some textbooks
Chill with the director
Whatever they want me to do, I do...it´s pretty crazy at school. 

At home:
Chill with my family.
Cafecito-a break in the afternoon where everyone drinks coffee and eats bread and cookies...I ate way to many yesterday and am feeling it big time :(  Cafecito usually lasts for like an hour.
Talk with family as best I can...this is where I´m hoping to really pick up on the speaking part.
Watch TV or use the internet.
Watch my mom or aunt cut people´s hair at their salon in the front of Grandma´s house...kinda cool.

Where am I?
I am about an hour and 45 minutes outside of San Jose east and slightly south in the mountains!  When I look out my front door in the morning I see Volcano Irazú and Volcano Turrialba, the city where all MLB baseballs are made. Volcano Turrialba smokes, so it´s really cool.  My family hopes to take me to see the crater of Irazú someday.  And I already know that there are no tours for the baseball factory...of course.  The evenings are very chilly, maybe 55 or 60 degrees so I´m glad I brought layers to Costa Rica.  News flash:  it´s not always warm here.  The teachers were wearing gloves this morning.  But it´s beautiful and there´s coffee growing all over the mountainsides.

Unfortunately, I don´t have pictures to upload at this time and am not sure if that´s possible. I´ll do my best to keep you posted on any crazy stories or adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment